This week we’ll wrap up our discussion of the Deduction and move on to Kant’s discussion of the “schematism” of the categories in their role as “principles” of experience.
- Review the Deduction
- Introduction to the Analytic, B169-75 (Guyer & Wood, 267-70)
- The Schematism, B176-87 (Guyer & Wood, 271-77)
- System of Principles, B187-202 (Guyer & Wood, 278-86)
- OPTIONAL: Watkins, “The System of Principles, §§1-2”
- OPTIONAL: Guyer, “What is the Schematism?”
- OPTIONAL: Pendlebury, “Making Sense of Kant’s Schematism”
- OPTIONAL: Allison, “The Schematism of the Understanding and the Power of Judgment”
- What is a “schema”?
- What are schemata needed? (i.e. what is the problem of the Schematism chatpter?)
- What is a “schematized” category?